Happy Two Years to My Little Shop, Your New Friend Sam
Wow, just wow. Each and every day, I still can’t believe what’s blossomed over these last two years.
Starting out, I didn’t think I’d have time to ship product, so I only listed printable, downloadable invitations. Then, while helping my best friend with her wedding, I added some various new items—like an address stamp that I hand lettered. From there my shop exploded from just printables to a rubber stamp and lettering shop. Nothing that I even started with. I can go weeks without even selling a printable invite, but daily, I’m selling things I’ve handlettered. Where? What? How?
Starting out, I didn’t even know I could letter. That I could write in a way that people would want to buy it. Buy it for their weddings, for their businesses, for tattoos on their arms! It’s such a a simple concept and it blows my mind daily. And I thank God for giving me that skill. Yes, I’ve studied and practiced like crazy, but truly, if I can call this a gift, it all came from God. There is no other way to explain it. And that’s the only way I can even try to fathom how I got to where I am now.
A year ago from this moment, I never ever ever everrrrrrr would have anticipated what was about to happen in that second year.
- I never would have guessed that the first month of the [second] year of my shop, I would get 50 orders—10 more than the whole first year combined!— let alone that the last month of the year (January) I would have nearly 300!
- I never would have guessed that when I created my “made with love” stamp with my friend Trisha in mind, it would launch a whole series of “love” stamps or the style of the writing would draw so many inquires to have logos and other related items done in a similar way.
- I never would have guessed that when I saw what the minimum amount of sales was to file taxes for Etsy was that I would meet and far exceed that amount. I specifically remember laughing and scoffing at that, thinking there was no way that would even be feasible.
- I never would have thought that something I hand lettered would become a tattoo! A permanent art piece on someone’s body!
- I never would have thought that when my friend (Trisha, again!) asked me to design her sister-in-law’s shower invites, it would inspire and launch a whole line of glitter embossed greeting card cards… almost 500 bridal party cards sold since mid-October to today!
- I never would have guessed that my shop would be featured on the David Tutera blog (twice!) or even international blog sites like Fanny Staaf’s (twice!).
- I never ever would have thought I’d reach 500 sales within the year, but that marker was passed in the summer and by November, I hit 1,000 sales! The Christmas rush came and went and things have only gained speed. With having my 1,700th sale last night, 2,000 sales is just around the corner in a matter of a few short months or even weeks! I seriously can not even believe it. No really, I can’t believe it.
If so much could happen in just the second year, while making hundreds of contacts and relationships with clients all over the world… I can only imagine what is to come this third year. This has been the most overwhelmingly insane year of my life—work-wise—but the most wondrous, amazing, and rewarding year as well. It was a year of taking chances, seeing what worked and what didn’t work and finding help and support from my friends and family in such sweet and endearing ways. It was learning to refine the craft of hand lettering with each order and discovering new writing styles. With each step of faith, God has just confirmed over and over again that what is happening is all from Him because there is no way I could have had any success at this apart from Him. I am ever so thankful…
Happy birthday my sweet little shop, how you’ve opened my eyes to dreams I never knew I had. To a future, I never knew could exist. To endurance that I never knew I had.
View more blog posts on my shop here.
Or just go straight to my Etsy shop, Your New Friend Sam, here.